Ethnic Minorities into Leadership
The annual Ethnic Minorities into Leadership Conference has established itself as the key event for those interested in enhancing the capabilities & leadership opportunities for Ethnic Minority colleagues across the Civil Service and wider public sector.
View upcoming events
About the event
The conference & speakers will examine how Ethnic Minority individuals, at any level, can continue to overcome barriers, build networks and become the leaders they aspire to be. Events will offer hands-on advice, practical steps and coaching on how to adapt to new environments, expand networks, utilise opportunities effectively and further your career in times of change.
Attendees will hear from inspirational speakers of all grades & levels from across the public and private sectors. Plus learn valuable strategies on how to manage the challenges of modern leadership and help ensure the Civil Service and public sector doesn't lose momentum in recruiting, retaining and rewarding Ethnic Minority leaders.
- Examine the barriers & enablers affecting your progression
- Receive hands-on advice & coaching for your professional development
- Gain a deeper understanding of the skills, qualities and competencies required to be a successful leader
- Hear from senior Ethnic Minority leaders on how to succeed
- Network with peers & counterparts from across the public sector also trying to further their careers
- Hear from inspirational speakers of all grades and levels from across the public and private sectors
Understand what to expect from our events - watch highlights below
Connect and communicate with senior government and public sector stakeholders and attendees at our events. Our unmatched network and knowledge means we deliver meaningful engagements that make a difference.
From large scale exhibitions to intimate roundtables in Brussels, Holyrood or Westminster, our expert team curates events across the UK and Europe so you can:
- Engage directly with specific government stakeholders
- Understand and navigate the political environment
- Build the knowledge and network you need to stay ahead
- Learn from experts and maintain continual professional development
The FDA, along with other civil service unions, works proactively within departments on equality and diversity issues, playing a pivotal role in creating a fair workplace. A further commitment of the FDA to equality and diversity is to engage with diverse and often under-represented groups across its 19,000-strong membership, through its four diversity networks:
- Black and Minority Ethnic Network
- Disabled Members' Network
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Network
- Women's Network
Members of these networks meet regularly to discuss work issues, provide mutual social and professional support, and to help shape the policy of the FDA.
Please find below confirmed venues for upcoming Ethnic Minorities into Leadership events.
London - 19 October 2023
Venue will be confirmed soon.
- "Attending the conference has given me the confidence in approaching and speaking to senior leaders and no matter what grade, I am now able to approach them. I even approached a deputy director at the conference, who became my mentor and enabled me to progress to where I am."
- "My personal experience of attending the Ethnic Minorities into Leadership conference has always been positive and I have found it extremely useful in terms of enhancing my personal development and providing a fanstastic platform for effective networking. As a result of attending, I have developed cross government relationships with like-minded ethnic minority colleagues and upon invitation, even had the opportunity to give a leadership journey presentation at a ethnic minority network event in the Home Office. I am looking forward to attending this year which already promises a great line up of speakers."
Rose, Ministry of Justice
- "Fantastic event, with helpful and imaginative breakout sessions, engaging speakers with great stories, and lots of takeaway points for reflection."
Research Analyst Manager, FCO
- "Good, interesting, thought provoking discussions. Good to see the types of conversations being held at senior levels and the ambition that exists. Interesting, practical discussion and tips about how to put yourself in the best position to succeed"
Strategy and Capability Delivery Manager, Ministry of Defence
- "I feel that my experience at Ethnic Minorities into Leadership was extremely positive. Seeing the path of successful people and finding the common themes that led them to their position was a fantastic learning experience that may not be found within my day to day place of work. A day definitely worth attending!"
Procurement Executive, Crown Commercial Service